Monday, October 06, 2008

Mini-vacation in Clayton, MO

Julie's employers ran a symposium last weekend at the Ritz-Carlton St. Louis, which is really in Clayton, MO. The City of St. Louis is not part of St. Louis County. It's not part of any county.

Anyway, Julie's employer's offered her a room at the Ritz for the duration of the event, which was really rather wonderful of them. She would have gotten even less sleep if she'd had to drive the 40 minutes round trip every day. Best of all, no one cared if I came along and shared the room for the duration. I got a little walking in Saturday, which was bright & gorgeous.

The first night we were there I had trouble sleeping for several reasons. The biggest reason was that I hadn't tried sleeping in bed since my shoulder surgery, and it took me a while to pile the pillows up properly. The other big reason I figured out more slowly: it was too quiet. I didn't realize how well built the building is until I opened up the balcony door the next afternoon to catch a breeze. I slept much better Saturday night with the sounds of Forest Park Parkway and Metrolink rumbling in the background.
DSC05481

Our room
DSC05477

DSC05535

No comments: