Sunday, September 04, 2011

Tour de Frances, St. Louis Hills

I have a Reflex-Nikkor 500mm lens that I have never gotten a feel for.  My dad loved it, and it does have good points: it's sharp, it's in perfect condition, and it's surprisingly comfortable to shoot with.  On the down side, it's slow-- f8 fixed aperture (which is probably really a 1/2 stop darker in practice).  Also, I'm not much of a telephoto shooter to begin with.  Historically, I've preferred the large depth of field and sharpness of wide angle lenses.  I just can't seem to think of pictures so far away.

Yesterday I decided to play with the behemoth.  One of the reasons I bought a Nikon DSLR was so I could continue using the collection of Nikon lenses I had used for years on my F, F3HP and Nikkormat.  The results aren't all that impressive, but another joy of digital cameras is the low cost of practice, practice, practice.

_DSC3052_DxO

_DSC3084_DxO

_DSC3080_DxO

We went to Frances Park to watch the bicycle races.

No comments: